Search

Custom Search

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Every Story Follows the Same Basic Plot IV: Restoration

See Part III
See part II
See part I

Finally, every story ends or will end with a sense of restoration. In Gladiator, Maximus defeats Commodus and restores the Senate, and in his own personal story, Maximus reunites with his wife and son on the other side of death. In Walk the Line, in the Thanksgiving Day scene, after his father demonstrates contempt for Johnny Cash again, June Carter comes to "rescue" his spirit. In the Lord of the Rings, the one Ring is destroyed and Aragorn takes his place as king. In Prince Caspian, Narnia is restored with a son of Adam on the throne again. In God and man's story, Jesus dies, is buried and is resurrected, beginning the restoration of the relationship of humanity and God that is ongoing.

Restoration is available, it is there. Often in our own stories that we are now living, we must find a way to recognize the real truth of the shattering and how we are striving.

1 comment:

Nellie Dee said...

I enjoyed reading this. I've never heard this before, but it does makes sense. Makes me ask myself, "what might I be in denial about or what pains am I continuing to cover up?"
Just another note. I found your blog because I was thinking of naming mine "Restoring Hearts". Oh well.