Search

Custom Search

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Exciting times/collection of random thoughts

I hope any readers of this blog spot are checking out the joint spot I share with a team, Redemptive Communities

I believe that a lot of very common practices hamper the recovery and restoration of the hearts of God's people. Many of these practices are very core, yet not biblical. The book Pagan Christianity documents many of these practices that concern me. Maybe I will blog a series on these points, but in the mean time, I really recommend the latter edition, co-authored by George Barna and Frank Viola and published this year, to anyone. Excitingly, my review of Pagan Christianity that I published on the Redemptive Communities site is linked to from paganchristianity.org.

Speaking of community: been in discussions with a couple of different men on some efforts of community here in Colorado Springs. One has an effort he calls Amplify, that is to plant a different kind of church here in the Springs. He has studied and found that several of our standard practices are not in the Bible. The other is looking at a kind of church multiplication movement for the Springs. We'll see if any bear fruit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just an update -- working with Amplify fell through. The guy leading it talks a lot about prayer and listening to God, but I'm just not sure what he thinks he means by that.

We met over beer a few weeks back now, and he talked about listening to God on one hand, then a few minutes later he would wonder how you would ever settle differences or know what certain mysterious biblical passages mean as you study it. I did confront him on his dualism, asking if he believed that a conversational intimacy with God was possible. He gave one of those -- "I don't know what your position is but since you asked and the way you asked suggests what you believe 'x' so I'm going to answer in a way that won't offend you but I think we disagree" type of answers.